- 5/12/08So I just put up a new version of New Left Standard's 1998 album Life of the Party for download in DRM free Mp3 format. The place where it where it was hosted before seems to have gone out of business, so I thought I'd update it. Check it out here
- 12/28/02 Hey does anyone even visit this page anymore? Well I'm actually updating for once. Chris is currently in the studio recording his 2nd full length album
titled "Positively 18th Street" which will be out in Feb 2003 and you can see him live in Milwaukee in the coming months. Check out his website at www.chriskingmusic.net for more information.
In addition T.J. has started playing in a new band called Divide By Zero and are playing shows around the Chicagoland area and I presume will be touring soon. Check out their website at www.dividebyzeromusic.com
- 2/08/02 Well its been almost two years now and I actually am updating this thing. As most of you know new left standard has long broken up, and will obviously not be getting back together. My 3 years in New Left Standard were some amazing times, and I'd like to thank everyone who made it possible. T.J. is currently playing with Logan's Loss- the downers grove touring machine, who you can catch playing just about anywhere, and Chris is still playing and recording as "The Chris King Experience," playing bars around the Milwaukee, and Chicago area.
- 2/13/00 The last recording from new left standard is now up in the Mp3 Section it is an acoustic version of giving up, a song played at the 6 reunion shows from the summer of 2000. So enjoy the new song, and keep trading our songs on napster before they shut it down. I am very pleased to say that all of these files are being traded frequently and their are even NLS mp3's out there, that we didn't even make. Look for the $240 song on napster also. later
- 1/27/00 Okay the offical home of the Chris King experience on the web for the time being is at http://chrisking.cjb.net There are 4 songs from the new e.p. Enjoy the free songs, later
- 1/15/01 Well its the first news update in 2 and a half months and the first update of the new year. Chris spent the month off from Christmas Break writing and arranging 4 songs for a debut e.p. with "The Chris King Experience." The title of the e.p. is "College Years, Drinking Beers, and New Frontiers" and features 5 catchy acoustic rock songs, with experimentation with different instruments such as this crazy instrument made in the early eighties called an Omnichord, Bongo Drums, and many other surprises. 4 songs of inspired lyrics about drinking beer, hanging out with friends and basically having a good time. There is even an Acoustic cover of the new left standard song, "giving up." This e.p. showcases Chris's vocal abilities, which were largly hidden in the gruff, scratchy vocals that new left standard was known for. The first track called "Thursday Night" is said by some to be some of the best material Chris has ever written and shows him going in a very unexpected direction musically. The e.p. is still being mixed, but all five songs will be released for free download on the internet, when the Chris King Experience webpage goes up. Also there are plans for a limited CD release of the e.p., more word on all of this later.
- 10/07/00 Wow its been a long time since I updated this page, but theres some big news. T.J. has just joined the Downers Grove punk rock ska midwest touring machine, Logans Loss. His first show with the loss will be on Oct. 21st in Downers Grove, and also check them out Oct. 28th with Homegrown at the metro. Also finally a couple mp3's have been made from the up and coming NLS-live in hoffmann ep, so look for those in the mp3 section, and be on the lookout for a couple acoustic versions of the songs popping up on the site in the coming months. Also one of these days I might even put some pictures up from our summer shows, but we'll have to see about that. As far as me(Chris) i have once again gone on hiatus from playing guitar until further notice. I currently run the Milwaukee Shows List at http://www.milwaukeeshows.com, and in addition I am pulling double duty on two "behind the scenes" music jobs(hey its not playing in a band, but its pretty damn close). I am the CMJ Milwaukee Marketing Representative(a great college radio company out of New York. and also working for a promotions company called LMNOpop, out of Chicago. Its definetely a big change going from playing in a punk band, to working for Universal and Arista records, but i'm slowly getting used to it. As far as the other nls boys are doing, Steve is doing great in colorado from what I hear, and I'm sure terry is doing just fine. Until next time,
Chris from New Left Standard
- 8/29/00 Well it was a wonderful three months of being back together and playing shows, but now once again new left standard will be back on hiatus for a while. Thanks to everyone who came out to see our handful of shows this summer. Well on September 15, Funded By Mom Records will be releasing a 5 song E.P. called New Left Standard- Live in Hoffman, and will be available for free download in Mp3 format. Now its time for the expected New Left Standard side projects and other gossip. T.J. is starting a new band with Dan from Chauncey, which will be playing around soon I bet. Then also my side project, The Chris King Experience, will be releasing a 3 song demo online for free download courtesy of Funded By Mom Records once again. I'll be posting a link here when the Chris King Experience website is up, and expect another release in late January. Thats it, later
- 8/17/00 Well Good news from NLS land, we recruited our good friend Terry Powers to record our long awaited 6-7 song e.p. which will feature all new material that was previewed at our handful of shows this summer. In addition it will include a live track from the June 30th show at Scrap Skate Park recorded by John Emerson. This will be our first release since October of 1998, and we are all very excited to get out some material. Now since it has been so long since we've released anything and have played shows without merchandise for so long, we have decided to give back to all of the NLS fans if they're still out there. This new e.p. will be an internet only release, and will available in MP3 format for everyone to download for free. In addition all the linear notes and artwork will be displayed on the web. I may offer the e.p. on CDR for maybe 4-5 dollars postage paid, as an option for people who don't have a c.d. burner, but I'll decided on that later.
- 7/30/00 The show in Ottawa, went great, we put on a good show and the people there was incredibly friendly as the have the other 3 times we'd played there in the past. Well due to scheduling problems our recording date got canceled so the e.p. looks like it will be shelved. Also it appears that our short lived reunion is about to come to an end. We would like to have a final show sometime before August 6th, but that seems like an impossibility. So for everyone who has come to our reunion shows thank you very much for you're support and it has been great. I will be redesigning the webpage in the coming months, and will be posting live mp3's of some of our new material. Also stay tuned to this webpage for developments of new left standard side project bands, cause there will definetely be a handful of them as the months roll on.
- 7/7/00 Hey everyone, we finally got done playing our first three shows back together, and received mixed reviews, but we got to debut some of our new material that will be on an upcoming self released cd ep which we will be going in the studio to record in late july, early august hopefully. As far as shows are concerned we don't have anything set in stone yet. The main concern as of now is practicing and recording our new ep.
- 6/26/00 Well the reunion show was a complete fucking mess, what originally was to be a 4 band show turned into a 7 band show with us headlining and only getting to play 6 songs. It was a pretty shitty way to come back after almost 1 and a half years of extinction but, thats just how it worked out. We're hoping to play a full set in Palos Heights this friday, so hopefully we can get things going again, since last friday was such a big let down. Sorry to all those who came out and only got to hear a few songs. The good news is we debuted our 4 new tunes and played two oldies and it seemed to go very well. We have the whole show on video and cassette, and theres a possibility of me releasing some live mp3 tracks for free download. We're still in the process of booking shows for the rest of the summer. We will be returning to Ottawa Illinois at the end of july with Catch 22, more news on that as it comes available. Also we're still very open in July and August if anyone has any spots on local shows we'd be glad to come and play. Well until next time, p.s. I should have pictures from our first show back courtesy of Julie Zak in the coming weeks.
- 6/21/00 Hey everyone, with just two days till the first new left standard show in more than one and a half years, I thought I'd give everyone an update. First off, the poll for what song we should open with appears that a large percentage want to hear a new song to open with. The song we will open with is called Fall Through New England. On friday we will be debuting 4 brand new songs which include, Giving Up- a slower punk song, Nine to Five-a song which happens after working long hours and watching dead poets society too many times, Grateful- an upbeat punk tune, and Fall Through New England which we will open with which is you're basic hip punk stuff. People coming to our shows expecting to hear alot of our old material or ska stuff will surely be disapointed, we will be drawing our set from punk songs written right before the demise of the band in dec 98' as well as a few tunes from our last c.d. Also some form of merchandise is in the works, and New Left Standard will be going into the studio to record their new material in mid July, with the release not being out till August. Other than that, thats about it, see ya at the show.
- 6/1/00 Well its June 1st and I have about 98% of the page done. I stayed up late last night and finished the New Left Standard Biography which chronicles the story of New Left Standard from the day they started till present day. I spent hours on it so check it out. All I have left to do is the releases section and I promise to get that rolling sometime next week. Thanks for visiting the new site and showing you're support. We're glad to be back and we are thrilled that people are actually taking interest in our return.
- 5/31/00 The lyrics to Wilmette Beach were sent into poetry.com's poetry contest as a joke and the scribblings of Chris King were picked as a semi-finalist in the contest. Its funny cause I never though of myself as a poet, but the lyrics to Wilmette Beach have been picked to be published in a big coffee table book along with other aspiring poets of the time. Also practices are going well and we are hoping to have a lively set packed with new material and a few oldies, so once again come out and see us at Scrap Skate Park in Hoffmann Estates on the 23rd of June and vote for the song we should open with on the front page.
- 5/28/00 Welcome to the brand new and improved new left standard homepage. As you all have seen we are indeed getting back together for real this time. We have been practicing alot these last few weeks and are working on new material and polishing up our set list for our debut show with Showoff. Another thing that I have not mentioned is if you notice our horn players are not in the picture. This because we decided to become a four piece and go a different direction musically then we were going when we had a horn section. We are also working on getting a c.d. ep recorded this summer which will be available sometime during the summer. I'm slowly but surely working on getting this webpage fully operational so bear with me. Also make sure to vote for what song we should open with on June 23rd with Showoff, what ever song wins will be what we open with, so start casting those votes. And last but not least I have put up a guestbook on the webpage after resisting it for 4 years. Let it be known that it will be up on a trial base only and the second it gets out of hand, it will be takin off the page. Thanks again for visiting the new page and we hope to see you all at our first handfull of shows in 1 1/2 years.
Chris from new left standard