New Left Standard News
- 5/2/00 Okay here is the deal, New Left Standard is getting back together this summer, yes I know it has been said many times that we would never get back together but after more than a year we have all had time to cool off, do other things music and non-music related, and even grow up a little bit(yeah right) but this summer we will be recording a full length c.d. which does not have a release date yet, because we still have alot of work to do before this can become a reality, but as soon as we start recording there will be exclusive Mp3's from the c.d. available first on this website. That brings up another issue, in June I will be making a brand new, New Left Standard website which will be hosted on a different server, so all these annoying pop up banners can be avoided, although I will keep up this original site just for memories sake. Also another issue is shows. We have been getting a good amount of requests to play shows, and heres the deal with that, As of now the only show date that we have set in stone is June 23rd with Johnny Socko at Scrap Skatepark in Hoffman Estates. If you would like us to play a show in you're town, please contact us and we will be able to confirm shows on June the 1st and make sure there are no conflicts and what have you. On June first I will have more information on the New Left Standard reuniting, show dates, and other information, thanks for bearing with us, as we string all of this together. We are really looking forward to playing some new music and meeting some new people this summer, later,
chris from new left standard
- 1/28/00 Sorry Its been so long since I've made an update to this page but I've just had other things going on. Well over break I saw T.J. and the Eclectics fresh off their european tour and I was impressed they put on a pretty good show playing some old eclectics tunes, a handful of obscure covers and some brand new tunes. Also I wanted to apologize for posting on the page that t.j. was quitting the eclectics, I guess that was just rumor and kind of started some problems, but at the moment I don't know if t.j. is staying in the eclectics, more on that when I hear from him next. Also Rumor has it that T.J. has been jamming with John Gorr(bass player of borderline) so you never know something might come from that. As for me I haven't been doing anything lately, just screwing around being a college kid. Steve(ex-bass player of nls) just went on his way to Colorado State and he seems to be having a blast there,
Terry's still at Western Michigan, Eriks still at U of I and T.J. just enrolled for the second semester at Columbia. As for me, I'm still in Downtown Milwaukee at Marquette if you're ever in Jimbos or O'Dannys you'll more than likely see me there, also if anyone is at the Alkaline Trio show at the end of February at the good old Globe East I will definetely be there. But anyways there is still talk of a new borderline full length to be recorded in the Summer of 2000, so I'll keep you updated on that as always and here are the two eclectics mp3's if you haven't downloaded them yet,
until next time Christopher J. King you're new left standard roaming reporter.
- So Long As You Use a Knife.mp3
- 11/1/99 T.J. is now on tour of Europe with The Eclectics, and doing well. They also have a two song demo c.d. thing that is for sale at shows I believe, so next time there back in the states, make sure to check out these guys, They are now in Scottland, and have played with bands such as The Toasters and Jets to Brazil along with the way. T.J. promised to keep me updated about how the tour is going and I will be posting info, as it comes in, as far as any any new left standard news coming in the near future,,, don't count on it,
- 9/20/99 The History of the Schwinn's is now posted at the The Schwinn's Homepage
- 8/30/99 Check out Chris's College Diary
for some updates from Chris at Marquette University in Milwaukee.
- 8/22/99 T.J. just recently quit Chauncey the imfamous emo-rock quartet from Glenview, but will be touring europe with his new band the eclectics. As for the rest of the band you many never see or hear anything from any of them again, because the rest of are going to various colleges which include Marquette,U of I, Western Michigan, and Harper. I will continue to update the standard and borderline pages though and who knows there might even be a Borderline reunion during the Christmas Break or something, Hey stranger things have happened. Also I will be making a webpage for Steve Fadz's band soon, because they are just finishing their demo in the studio, so look for that coming soon.
- 8/12/99 We now have Mp3 sound files from the life of
the party c.d. which can be downloaded and then played with an mp3 player which is available at http://www.mp3.com If you're not familiar with mp3's their sound files that play in c.d. quality sound and can be burned onto c.d.s which you are more than welcome to do with these files.
- 7/22/99 The Borderline
full length c.d. has just been released on Funded By Mom Records. For those of you that don't know Borderline features
Chris King ex-lead singer of nls and Terry Fadz ex-drummer of nls,
also look for the secret track on the Borderline c.d. featuring a nls style ska song featuring Dan Sents from ATFO on backup vocals
- 6/15/99 The pictures from our fireside show with mu330 in january are finally developed and I will put them on the page soon,
and you'll notice a new group photo(and our last) is up, most ex-members of nls can be found all over the midwest at various schools so go and visit them...Chris-marquette university, milwaukee wisconsin,Erik-University of Illinois,Steve-William Rainey Harper College,Terry-Western Michigan University,Jason-Rohlwing Meadows High,
and look for a show in early august in Arlington Heights featuring all bands with ex-nls members, more news on that as it comes. Also T.J. has just joined the eclectics and will be taking a year off of college to tour with them in Europe, best of luck to him on that, Don't forget to mail me a postcard though.
- 4/26/99 The Borderline webpage is located at http://listen.to/borderline
they will start playing shows in may so be sure to check them out, also be sure to go see chauncey playing in a town near you. Also I'm looking into getting some more new left standard c.d.s made and they will be available through funded by mom records, more word on that as it develops.
- 3/17/99Happy St. Patricks Day!! everyone keep their eyes out for the official borderline homepage coming in about 2 weeks,
I will have a link posted up on this page soon.
- 3/10/99 Yes we will be playing too last shows one at record breakers. Other than that we're done. No we do not have any t-shirts,c.d.s,patches, or stickers left they are sold out.
Are tapes are still available on the Funded By Mom Records website. But other than that we have nothing left.
Also people have been asking if anyone from nls is any new bands,
yes these bands are called Chauncey,The New Jacks, and Borderline.
thats it for now,
- 1/19 Well once again our record breakers show has been canceled and supposedely moved to March 14th. To tell you the truth I don't know if there will ever even be a last show. Its kind of sad to see the band that I spent almost 2 years of my life playing in slowly fading away, but for all intents and purposes it seems like the best move for everyone in the band. I don't think any one person or event can be blamed for us breaking up but I think it was a series of things. And as much as I may have gotten on other peoples nerves over the years I just want everyone to remember all the great shows we've played and the things we've done. In 1998 New Left Standard played the Cabaret Metro 3 times playing with bands such as Mustard Plug and Eve 6 and the Fireside Bowl 6 times playing with bands such as Animal Chin and Mu330. In the last 2 1/2 years new left standard has played more than 150 shows, been played on three different radio stations and recorded about 15 tracks in the studio. I think we accomplished alot more than anyone in the band ever hoped and it was alot of fun for awhile, but people change, and there was no other answer except to break up. You may see some members of nls are in new bands, and others you may never see again. Only time will tell,
chris from new left standard
- 12/15The Knights of Columbus snubbed us when we attempted to rent it out for the 3rd Annual Punk Christmas, then we tried booking the Camelot Auditorium but now that fell through so we are looking for any venue where we can put on this show. We may have to play in someones basement if we kind find a place soon. If anyone can help us out in finding a place please e-mail either us or baxter. Its scheduled to be on January 8th chris-nls
- 12/8 The sound clips from our new tape our now up,(thank you Dan Sents).I also just posted the lyrics up for The Life Of The Party e.p. so if you own it, you can sing along at home.
- 11/24 You may notice that the webpage is looking a little different these days, just hold tight with me while I re-model the page It'll probably be completely finished in about two weeks. It feels good to have a different look to the page, since its been the same for almost a year.
- 11/17 The Everything Offbeat Record Release Show will
be on December 22nd at the Metro and is only $5, and features us The New Jacks and Skapone. Our new 9 song e.p. "The Life of the Party" will be also be available in the c.d. format for this show, so come and support the local scene.
- 11/8 Our Brand New 9 song tape called "The Life of the Party" just came out on Funded By Mom Records
and is available from them for $5ppd and comes with a free patch.
In a week or so I will have the cover posted and some sound clips from the new tape, so check that out.
- 9/30 We are currently organizing both spring break
and summer tours, I will have the tentative dates posted soon,
so If anyone can help us in a particular state it would be greatly appreciated.
Also look for us coming through Michigan and Minnesota on a couple
mini-tours in the coming months.
- 9/16 Heres the latest news -NLS- will be recording a 6 to
7 song sampler demo thing in October of some new songs that will be on the album
and some other unreleased stuff. It may be released as a tape e.p
on Funded By Mom Records,
but it hasn't been decided yet if thats whats going to happen. And
don't forget we're recording a 14 song album at Atlas Studios in December
so look for that to be out around early summer.
- 6/12 Well its been a long time since I've even touched this page but heres whats up,
Nicole quit the band once again but this time shes gone for good and
we just got a new sax player, Jason. We haven't really played a show in a couple months cause everyones been going on there respective vacations, so sorry about that but you can see us all over IL in the coming months we're coming back to the K of C, Fireside,Off the Alley,Planet Java, Record Breakers etc... in the next two months.
Also heres our upcoming releases if you wanted to know,
Our 7" "Arlington Heights" on Dyslexic Records, then our track "nothing to do will be on the Dyslexic Sampler c.d. which'll only cost like $3 and then our song "240 Dollar Song" will be on the Everything Offbeat Comp on Jump Up!!. All this stuff should be out soon and you'll be able to pick them up at your local record stores.
- 6/1 Hello again, we just got done playing two shows with
the new lineup last weekend and it went very well. All the new stuff
is sounding great and the old is even better. So if you haven't seen the new nls yet check us out, also here an interview with Chris from
the This is Our Scene Zine.
- 5/4 Heres the newz.... I finally updated the pictures section of the page it has pictures
from the k of c and metro and stuff, and also I put up that picture of the trombone player from mu330 wearing the nls shirt and hugging tim, cause i thought it was pretty neat. Our record is finally coming out at the end of may on Dyslexic/Backwards records and like I said
before its called Arlington Heights and its got 4 newly recorded songs on it. ummmm let me see oh yeah we're playing at The First Annual
Stay the Fuck of Our Scene Show on June 12th and is only $3 at the
Knights of Columbus with the New Jacks, ATFO, and the Schwinns to name a few, please come out and support the local scene, and as always were
playing a bunch of other shows too. later
- 4/28 Alright heres the deal, we're taking all of May off
to write all new material and we are going to stop playing most of
our old songs cause we've been playing most of them too long and its
time for something new. We may be playing a show or two at the end
of may but for the most part we're just gonna hang out this month and
wait for our record to come out. Check back here in a week or two for
more on the soap opera that is new left standard
- 4/23 I finally got my act together and made the second nls newsletter, the last one I did was all the way back in September so I
thought I'd tell everyone what was up with us, the newsletter has info on a handfull of shows we played and has pictures from the metro and
at the fireside, so if you go to any of our shows at IIT college,
Morris,IL or Knights of Columbus this weekend make sure to pick up a newsletter, because we don't do mailing lists and we will only have
them at those 3 shows.
- 4/5 Our 7" entitled "Arlington Heights" is coming out
on Dyslexic records in a couple months. I will be redoing this whole site over when the records comes out because this page needs a long overdue re-designing, but other than that, we're playing a bunch at the end of april so come check us out. thats all for now
- 3/10 In the last two weeks new left standard has made
two trips to indiana, one trip to homewood,IL(Off the Alley) and
recorded in two different studios pumping out close to 9 new tracks.
It may not seem like a lot but it all adds up and for this reason we've decided to take the rest of March off just to fuck around and maybe write some new material. We will be back in full force for April and will be back on the road,fully rested, and coming to your town.
- 2/23 Last saturday we were the suprize openers for the Animal Chin show at the Fireside, it was a great show and if you missed it I feel for you. No New Left Standard isn't breaking up, sorry to all you saps who thought we were. On March 8th we go back to the luxurious Emerson Studios to put the final touches on our upcoming 7" on Dyslexic Records. Then March 9th(yes, the next day)we are going into Atlas Studios to record our track on the Everything Offbeat 2 Comp. along with 2 other new songs. Also if you get a chance
check out our upcoming shows we opening for both Mu330 and the Eclectics in the coming weeks. Well thats it for now.
- 2/6 O.K. heres the latest info on the on going soap opera
that is new left standard. Well we kicked out our trombone player finally after putting up with way to many months of his shit. Right now we have no plans on getting a new trombone player and are just gonna stay with the trusty erik and nicole combo. We finally got our t-shirts in and they will only cost $6 at our shows. Also you can finally download soundclips from our demo tape, so if you want to hear what we sound like check those out in the merchandise section. well thats it for now
- 1/17 We're back at the fireside this sunday with 1072 with a push,and the imposters. Last month we went back to the "Emerson Studios" and began work on 7 more songs. 4 for our upcoming 7" on dyslexic, and the rest going to comps and shit like that. At the end of the month we will be laying down the trumpet and vocal tracks and will finish up the recording. Also heres an update on the update on all the new left standard side projects. T.J. is now in an emo band called chauncy with members of the new jacks, and the imposters.
Terry,Chris, and T.J. are in a pop punk band called the schwinns and can be seen popping up at arlington heights basement shows here and there. As for Madison it is on hold for right now but I will keep you posted.
- 12/2 We are finally playing at the Fireside this Sunday Dec. 7th, so everyone come out and support us.
- 11/18 We went to to Wisconsin and played the Mangon Grill with Telegraph,Animal Chin,and Dr. Manette, but in the process we crashed are van. its fucked up pretty bad, and is still in Wisconsin as we speak. we've having a benifit show for the crash coming up soon so come and help us out!!
- 11/1 -At about 12:15 on 89.3(fast and loud) we got played on the radio for the first time which was the neatest thing ever, they
played "Hot Chocolate".
- 10/31 -we spent our Halloween night in Valpraiso IN,
we played with Animal Chin,Jesters,Skagina and the Unpleasants,
everyone was very nice to us, they had a cool backstage with food which was totally rad. and we crashed in some girls house we didn't know and watched really bad horror flicks, but it was cool. And a special shout out to the Unpleasants cause they are some of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.
- 10/20- We finally have good patches!!!! so come out to the shows and get em they are free while supplies last. On the 18th we played in some girls backyard in 30 degrees with no jackets with Valentines in some town Algonquin,IL a town in which they have no street lights and we got lost like 3 times, but it was still cool. The people in Algonquin know how to have a good time oh yeah and the girls house we played at was next store to a driving range and we stole like 500 golf balls so at our next few shows we encourage you to come early so you can participate in some pre-show golfing.